Monday, September 28, 2015

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Its Tuesday. That is all. 

You know, some days are just days. They are rainy and blah and we have to get up and do school and go to work and we don't want to. We just want to go to town and try on dresses because that sounds way more fun. And sometimes those days feel a little sucky. I tell you what though, even on those days-especially on those days-God tells us something really important. He says in Psalm 118:24: 
This is a note I wrote a couple of years ago. Sometimes I like to go back and read it. I thought I would share it with you today. 
I am the type of person that wakes up generally in a good mood. I need five minutes, maybe, but after that I'm generally pleasant and cheery. I have always been this way. In fact, my sister tells a story of me waking up in my perky little mood and she looked over at my mother and said "Can't you DO something about her?" Bethany is just like me, much to the dismay of our other family members who need a good 45 minutes to get past the morning grouchies. However, even us perky morning people have our bad days. We have days when the sun doesn't shine and we can't find our shoes and and in general things just aren't going our way. When I was a little girl and that happened, my mother would sing. She sang:
"This is the day that the Lord has made!
I will rejoice and be glad in it!
This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made!"
It worked every time. My mood would lift and I would get a smile on my face.
Flash forward 25 years or so. My mom has passed away now. Its a dull, ugly, gray day. I don't want to go to work, but its that time. I'm having a hard day where I'm thinking about Mama a lot and am just kinda sad all over. I head out to the car and suddenly in my head I think the words to the song ..."this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!" And my mood lightened. I felt better. I hadn't thought about that song in a long time, but the Lord brought it back to me just when I needed it. Now, I keep it at the front of my mind all the time.
The thing is, there are some terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad days out there. There are days when sad, bad things happen to us. Psalms 118:24 says "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." For me personally, this verse isn't only an encouragement, a praise, but also a challenge. THIS day, when you got bad news in the mail or your doctor visit didn't go as planned, or your loved one flew off to fight in a far away country?-it was the day the LORD made. And what does He want you to do?? Rejoice in it. And that is the time when you want to say "I'd rather not, thanks though." But it is then that you ask the Holy Spirit to comfort you and give you strength, and you will find reason to rejoice. Even if you don't find reason in your particular situation, take joy in knowing that you have another day here to find reason to glorify His name. You have another day to touch another life. Rejoice, Rejoice, and again, I say Rejoice!

I love you so much! And I rejoice because of you :) 

Today for History, we're going to be talking about Christopher Columbus. Christopher Columbus discovered North America in 1492-quite by accident. He was actually looking for India. Read the basic story of Christopher Columbus, then watch this Horrible Histories video: 

Here is a primary source document from Christopher Columbus. Read what he has written and answer the questions that follow it. 

For Math continue with XtraMath. You're steadily progressing! I'm proud of you! I know this seems crazy for us to spend this much time learning basic facts, but I really believe that the rest of it will come so much easier once you know them. 

For Science we're continuing with the chapter on organelles. Review the chapter and answer the questions at the bottom. Be sure to watch the video! Tomorrow I'm going to get you to draw and label all the organelles in the cell, so really pay attention to their structure. You will be able to look back at the chapter if you need to. 

Continue Reading BOTR and answering the discussion questions that go with the chapter.  Answer the questions in Google Drive or email and send them to me. Make sure that I get them today, please. 

This week's Spelling words are the next 10 in 100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know
Your words are: circumference    commotion  concoction  conspicuous   contortion   counter   
                            cunning         debris             defiance         deft

Read the entries for these words on pages 12-20 and write a sentence for each word. (Ricky Dillon optional ;) )

For writing this week we are going to work on your next persuasive essay. This time I am going to give you a topic. Today I want you to focus on the thesis statement. Use this diagram to help you: 

Your topic this week is "Schools should fight cyber-bullying". 

For life skills today, I want you to find recipes that we can make for dinner using chicken and potatoes with things we have here at the house already. This website could help you. Decide what you want to make for dinner and get it all together! You can cook it when I get home.

I think that is enough to keep you busy for today! Know all day that I love you and I have prayed for you, and remember: 


No comments:

Post a Comment