Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Thursday, October 15, 2015




Happy Thursday, Baby Girl! 
(Sorry. I just watched Criminal Minds.) 

How are you enjoying Cubbies? I'm so glad to see you finding areas to serve at church. I know this isn't the first time you have, but it makes me happy to see that this is important to you. Service is just as important as tithing in my opinion. Its a tithe of our time. You know I grew up in the Methodist church, and when we join the pastor asks you "Do you promise to up hold it (the church) with your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service?" That's kind of a big promise to make, but I wish the baptist church did that also. I have gone through periods of not upholding the church in all of the areas, but I think-at the moment-I'm doing pretty well! I'm glad to see that you're making these things a priority also. :) 

For History today, we're going to keep learning about more explorers. So far we've learned about Leif Erikson from Denmark, Christopher Columbus (who was Italian but sailed for Spain), and John Cabot (who was Italian but sailed for England).  Today we're going to learn about Amerigo Vespucci. Vespucci was an Italian who later lived in Spain. He proved that North and South America were not part of Asia as Columbus believed. North and South America are named for him. Watch this video about him. 



After you watch the video, I want you to make a chart or a foldable (you choose).  You need space for eight different explorers. Their names are: Leif Erikson, Christopher Columbus, John Cabot, Amerigo Vespucci, Sir Francis Drake, Ferdinand Magellen, Jacques Cartier, and Sir Walter Raleigh. We'll learn about the last four next week. On your chart or foldable, include the following information: Name, birth/death year, where they were born, what country they sailed for, what discovery they made, and how they died (if you can find that out.) Go ahead and put the information in for the first four today. 

Whew! that's a lot of work! 
(Again with the Criminal Minds? Yes Bethany. Yes. You may get a lot of this on Thursdays. I'm just sayin'.) 

For Math, continue with XtraMath. You've improved by 7 points so far since the placement test. Keep working! 

For Science do the practice questions on the chapter about Passive Transport. 
I see that you needed help with the question that said "Explain two ways materials can enter the cell through passive transport." Look for a sentence in the lesson that says: "One example of passive transport is____________, when molecules move from an area of high concentration (large amount) to an area of low concentration (low amount)." (but fill in the blank). The next section talks about a second way that materials can enter the cell-materials that are larger. 

For Reading, read the next three chapters in Of Mice and Men. If you didn't read the first three chapters yesterday, you will need to read all six today. How are you liking it? I would love to hear! Tell me on KIK! 

I'm still not seeing your Spelling sentences! Today I want you to write a sentence for each of your spelling words plus write the definitions of each of your words. Don't forget that tomorrow is your spelling test. 

I really liked your Daily 10 from yesterday! We need to start working on some grammar so that you can really have some amazing stuff. I love the way you are able to put your thoughts down on paper! 
Today for writing do this topic for Daily 10: Doctor Tales
Give me ten on a memorable visit to a doctor's or dentist's office.
After you finish your Daily 10, look at this chart. 
There are 250 ways to say "went" here. I want you to make me a chart with other ways to say "a lot". You may not get 250, but get as many as you can. These don't have to come straight out of your head. Use a thesaurus, google, whatever to help you. 

For life skills I looked for your lifepac to see how you did on the first two sections, but I didn't see it. I figured it was in your room but I didn't want to wake you up. Do the next section on child development. If you haven't finished the first two sections, you need to finish those also. 

You know, every day I pray for you and thank God that He gave you to me. I don't know where I would be without my children! Always remember that I love you, even if you do stuff like this: 






No comments:

Post a Comment